Mar 23, 2015

A bundle of... something...

One friend told me he had something for me. Months went by and by, and one day, he finally said something like: "I got something for you. I put it on your desk. It's the bundle I told you about. The one this old lady had at a garage sale and it ended up in the attic, in a box with other bundles."

So, this is it!


What a fantastic surprise!  


A bundle of "precuts" all the way from around the 40s! (If my friend's estimates are right.)


Some of the pieces were still kept together by color; somebody made sure that they stayed together by sewing through all of them, and making two knots - one at each end.


The most amazing thing is that all the pieces actually stayed together and did not fray that much.  I mean, these have survived at least 60 years! It's almost impossible to grasp...


Among all the little bundles were two units of what seemed to be a flower garden. No pattern and most pieces cut in the same fashion, like a kite. Some were not evenly cut; there seemed to be a lot of one color and very few of another one.


With the thought of years and years of survival, somebody's hands carefully preparing a project and even leftover fabric, began the search for a crafty idea to give these precious pieces of fabric a final home...




How to be respectful of somebody's plans for this little bundle? How much of myself can I put it in? (Sigh!) What a wonderful opportunity to create and enjoy such a treasured piece of the past!

This makes me think of my sweet niece, Yoyo, when she blew a bunch of kisses into a purse, right before I looked at it. It was my Christmas gift. Her kisses touch my heart and fill me with joy. She reminds me of grandma, too. Her love and dedication would touch every single project she worked on.

With the thoughts of my Tita's hands preparing things to start sewing, my mind flutters away and dives into research. Hopefully, I can come up with something that conveys my gratefulness and celebrates heritage... Wow! Big words!

What yould you do?

Stay blessed,

Yiya.

No comments:

Post a Comment