Mar 18, 2014

9-patch Pizzazz: Almost there...

I'm jumping with excitement!  One of my biggest challenges is taking a ticklish idea and making it happen... 

This time, my crafty bone started thinking of quilts and after an almost failed math session, it's finally coming together!


This is supposed to be a 9-patch quilt, but I did not want it to be anything close to traditional. From the off-center arrangement to the improvisational techniques, this quilt was quite a challenge!


And here it is, getting ready for the quilting...


I knew I wanted some simple quilting that would "soften" all the angles of the composition, without distracting from it... Something like simple wavy lines would suffice...



Using scrap pieces, I started playing with the width and length of some utility stitches, as you can see in the next picture. I found the wavy stitch in the machine (something tells me it has a good, formal, official, stitchy name) and then compared the variations and chose a stitch size I wanted to use in this quilt.


So, just start quilting! Yes, a walking foot became my best friend...  Something to consider when quilting lines (whether straight or wavy) is to quilt in different directions, so plan on how to move the quilt.  If you keep stitching all the time in the same direction, the batting will start shifting and the quilt won't be straight.


Can't wait to share the finished quilt!  It was another great opportunity to use the Scrappy Improv Blocks.  Have you had the chance to try this technique?  Don't forget to share your pictures in the Flickr pool.

Stay blessed!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment